Friday, December 12, 2008

More Ideas for a Less Stressful Christmas

*Do a cookie exchange instead of baking many different cookie recipes. Bake several dozen of your favorite type of cookie, and then you exchange them with each other. You’ll end up with a great variety of cookies-- and you will only have to make one kind!

*Keep a list of gift ideas all during the year. I've done this for several years and it makes shopping so much easier. This is one way I can have all my shopping done by Thanksgiving, which is my goal. Buying them throughout the year as helps the budget.

*Don’t try to make the entire holiday meal yourself. If you’re having your family over, ask everyone to bring something. Let your kids help you with the cooking and try to use some make-ahead recipes so you don’t spend the whole day cooking. I did this with our Thanksgiving meal and it made the day so much less stressful.

*If you’re trying to think of the perfect gift for that person that has everything, try buying a gift card to the recipient’s favorite store. Although some people frown upon giving gift cards, they really are a gift that anyone can use and they are usually greatly appreciated.

*I've found that if I haven't finished my shopping by Thanksgiving, then shopping on Monday or Tuesday the first few weeks after Thanksgiving is really a breeze. No crowds or lines! :-) I don't enjoy shopping in crowds, so avoiding the crowds helps me enjoy the shopping much better.

*Don't forget to do things that you enjoy! Embrace the Christmas season and do things that you love. Go caroling, make homemade gifts, drink hot chocolate and watch a favorite family movie together, and visit a shut in neighbor or relative.

*Most of all, be sure to spend time with your husband and children. Don't forget the ones you love the most. See the joy of Christmas through a child’s eyes and embrace it.

Hopefully these tips will help make your holiday season a great memory!

No comments: